Job Summary for Purchasing Manager:
The Purchasing Manager leads a team of purchasing agents involved in purchase of various materials for a high-tech manufacturing facility with 200+ employees. The responsibilities of the Purchasing team include sourcing and purchase of various metals, and some non-metals, in various forms like forged fittings, round bar, plate, and sheet material, and purchase of various hardware components like nuts, bolts, and other supplies for the machine shop and office. The Purchasing Manager also negotiates long term contracts with suppliers and reviews proposals from machining and fabrication equipment manufacturers.
Education and/or Experience Required for Purchasing Manager:
- Four year degree in relevant field preferred. (Associate's degree minimum).
- Five years of purchasing with at least one year in management.
- Experience purchasing for manufacturing company preferred.
- Experience with ERP systems, preferred.
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Qualifications of Purchasing Manager:
- Significant professional management experience.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Knowledge of public purchasing methods and procedures.
- Knowledge of techniques in writing specifications.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques utilized in grading and analyzing the quality of supplies, materials and equipment.
- Knowledge of billing procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with employees, vendors and the public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, and to tactfully and skillfully obtain the right materials and services at the right time for fair and reasonable prices.
- Ability to provide relevant procurement information and recommendations to management.
- Attention to detail
Duties of Purchasing Manager:
- Oversees the supervision of personnel, which includes work allocation, training and problem resolution. Evaluates performance and makes recommendations for personnel action.
- Plans, develops, recommends, negotiates, and administers contracts and proposals; evaluates and awards bids and proposals.
- Ensures that purchasing business practices are compatible with company policies, state and federal laws.
- Solicits bids/quotations from vendors and prepares bid specifications and other necessary documents related to the purchase of services, supplies, equipment and/or materials.
- Negotiates prices and terms, subject to management approval.
- Prepares written purchase recommendations.
- Compares cost, and evaluates the quality and suitability of supplies, materials and equipment.
- Selects appropriate vendors.
- Maintains working relationship with vendors in matters relating to substitutions, equivalents, delivery schedules and vendor problems.
- Expedites the delivery of goods, keeps informed of new products and current prices.
- Conducts formal bid openings as assigned, analyzes bids and quotes.
- Maintains contact with vendors and evaluates vendor performance.
- Administers contracts for purchase of supplies, equipment and materials.
- Performs other related duties and projects as assigned.